Testing: Testing is a process of trying to discover every conceivable fault or weakness in a work product.
- Testing is a process of executing a program with the intent of finding an error.
- A good test is one that has a high probability of finding an as yet undiscovered error.
- A successful test is one that uncovers an as yet undiscoverd error.
- Objective of Testing is to find all possible bugs(defects) in a work product.
- Testing should intentionally attempt to make things go wrong to determine if things happen when they shouldn’t or things don’t happen when they should.
Aim to find defects:
- Then prime benefit of testing is that if results in improved quality. Bugs get fixed.
- We take a destructive attitude towards a program when we test, but in a larger context our work is constructive.
- We are beating up the program in the service of making it stronger.
Job of Software Tester:
- Goal of a software tester is to find defects, find them as early as possible and make sure they get fixed.
How Testers do it?
- By examining the user’s requirements, internal structure & design, functional user interface i.e. Verification
- By executing the code, application software executable i.e. Validation
Work of Testers Involve:
- Generate test conditions cases.
- Create required test environment.
- Execute Tests.
- Report & Track defects.
- Test Reporting.
- Quality can be defined only in terms of the agent, worker, manager, customer & so on.But customer is one of the important part of the production system.
- Producer View: Adherence to specifications / meeting requirements.
- Consumer View: Fitness for use.
Software quality includes activities related to both process & product.
- Quality Assurance: Work Process & Completing the SDLC.
- Quality Control : About the product & find out bugs.
Before going further, many questions to be answered
- Will our product work according to our plan?
- Will users be able to do their jobs with the final outcome?
- Can business be relied on this software product?